Sleep is one of the most important activities of our lives. One cannot go for long without sleep. Lack of proper sleep not only leaves one exposed to possible ailments, but it also shortens their lifespan. It is important to ensure that you get enough hours of sleep. When one sleeps, the body gets repaired and rejuvenated to prepare you for the next day. One is more productive, relaxed, peaceful and happy when they get enough hours of sleep. Lack of proper sleep leaves one vulnerable to physical and mental problems in later years.
How long should one sleep?
Little kids should sleep between 9-20 hours a day. Teenagers should take between 8-9.5 hours while adults should have 7-9 hours of uninterrupted sleep every day. Rarely do people uphold this and that is the reason why most people wake up feeling fatigued, grumpy and unproductive.
Most people don’t understand what goes on when they fall asleep. The whole process is quite complex but explained; sleep can be broken into two categories that alternate after every 90 minutes. 75% of each night sleep is spent in the non-rapid eye movement state, NREM. The other 25% is spent in the rapid eye movement state, REM.
NREM state involves four main stages. The first phase is when one is the in-between phase’ this occurs when one just about to fall asleep. It oscillates between being awake and being asleep. The second phase occurs when sleep starts. During this phase, the body disengages from its surroundings, breathing becomes regular and the temperature drops. Phases three and four involve the most restful sleep or what is usually called the deep sleep. This is when the rejuvenation of the body occurs, tissues are repaired, muscles relaxed and hormones are released. In these phases, the heart rate drops while the breathing slows down. This is the most important part of sleep, and everyone should seek to achieve it anytime they sleep.
REM state is usually a cycle. It occurs after every 90 minutes after the onset of sleep. This period gets longer and longer as the night progresses. REM usually involves several activities taking place. During this state, energy is restored to the body and the brain. It is also believed that the subconscious brain is active at this time. It is the time when dreams occur. Most people believe that this is the time when the day’s hardest riddles and puzzles are solved. It is also the time when one can remember things that have been bugging them the whole day.
So for those that think sleep is but a waste of time, it’s a high chance they rethink this and start getting enough hours of sleep. You might realize a drastic change in the way you are now and the way you become once you start getting enough hours of sleep. Sleep is also therapeutic in that it helps one remain younger and radiant. So the next time you fall asleep, ensure to take at least 7 hours, and you will realize how more productive you will be during the day. Sleep well and sweet dreams!…